Paper 2 Part 2 – Review
- A title is advisable.
- Think what your are trying to achieve and, in the introduction, DO give your reader and indication of the structure of your review. You should also raise a question in your reader’s mind.
- Start a new paragraph for every item/aspect you are addressing in your review.
- Try to make it interesting by using a wide range of vocabulary: colourful, lively language; comparisons to describe something; specialised topic vocabulary.
- DO give your assessment of what you are reviewing and DO NOT forget to cover all the points mentioned in the task input.
- DO include a final recommendation or evaluation in the final paragraph.
- The target reader is specified in the question, so the candidate knows not only what register is appropriate, but also has an idea about the kind of information to include.
- Language of opinion (positive, negative), recommendation, description is necessary.
Useful language for a review
What I liked
- What I liked most was …..
- The thing I liked most was ….
- I was pleasantly surprised by …..
- ….. would appeal to …..
- If you get a chance to ….
What I disliked
- What I disliked most was …..
- I was disappointed by/with ……
Reviews of books
- main character
- is set in
- Fiction: science fiction / thriller / fantasy / mystery / historical / romance …
- Non-fiction: cook book / travel book / textbook / manual / coffee-table book …
- atmosphere / plot
- written by
Reviews of concerts
- artist / band / musician / (bass/lead/rhythm) guitarist / (backing/lead) singer / drummer / soloist / trio / orchestra
- auditorium / hall / venue / lyrics / (catchy) tune / score / gig
Reviews of exhibitions
- painting / sculpture / handicrafts
- gallery / catalogue / display
Reviews of films
- lead role
- star role
- star actor/actress
- secondary role
- He plays a …….
- written by ….
- cast / director / producer
- is set in …..
- based on a true story …..
- true to life
- not very believable
- (As for fiction books +): animation / adaptation / comedy
- Costumes / design / photography / script / special effects / soundtrack
Reviews of plays
- scene / act / set / stage / interval
Reviews of TV programmes
- Chat shows / current affairs programme / debate / documentary / series / soap opera/ sitcom (situation comedy)
- Host / presenter
Reviews of hotels, restaurants, etc
- attractive / disappointing setting
- owned by
- run by
- head chef (restaurant)
- waiters (restaurant)
- staff …….
- staff at reception …….(hotel)
- hotel facilities ….
- reasonable prices …..
- good/excellent/poor value for money …..
- (a bit/somehow) expensive
- not worth the money
- always fully booked
- book in advance
- The script seemed rather conventional/predictable to me.
- The plot struck me as completely bizarre/absurd/incomprehensible
- The characters are appealing and true to life
- The dancers were quite brilliant/amateurish
- I would strongly encourage you not to miss/not to waste your money on…
- I would definitely recommend seeing/visiting/reading/having a look at …